As strata owners, councils and property managers, you have questions about how to install and manage electric vehicle (EV) chargers and systems in your strata corporation. On this page, you will find webinars, resources, and links to provide the information you need.
With new Federal requirements that all new passenger car and truck sales be zero emission by 2035, it’s important that strata corporations plan for the needs of owners and residents. In BC, the November 2020 mandate letter from the Premier to the Minister Responsible for Housing includes a directive to “bring in “right-to-charge” legislation that will enable installation of electric vehicle charging infrastructure in more strata and apartment buildings”. If this legislation is enacted, it might require stratas to provide EV charging.
With rebates available from the province of British Columbia and some municipalities, now is the time to future-proof your buildings.
Clean BC – Go Electric Webinar Series:
VISOA is presenting this series of webinars to provide comprehensive information catered to strata owners and corporations. This series dedicates separate webinars to each of the four rebates in the Clean BC – Go Electric Charger Rebate Program that apply to stratas. One of these webinars will be dedicated to townhouses as the rebates available to townhouses work differently. This series will also help you learn about the steps involved in your project, operating costs and management of these systems in the years that follow, and how to comply with the Strata Property Act every step of the way.
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia through the Minister of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation.
- Nov 20, 2021: EV Ready Plans for Condominium Stratas: Download the slides | Watch on YouTube
- Dec 11, 2021: EV Electrical Infrastructure Rebates for Condominium Stratas: Download the slides | Watch on YouTube
- Jan 8, 2022: EV Charging Stations: Rebates for Stratas: Download the slides | Watch on YouTube UPDATE: Changes to rebates effective April 1, 2022! While there are no changes to the rebates for the “EV Ready Plan” or “Electrical Infrastructure”, the “MURB Charger Rebate” (to purchase and install Level 2 networked EV charging stations for strata residential parking spaces) has been increased for a limited time:
* 75% up to $5,000 per charging station (regularly 50% up to $2,000 each)
* Or if you’re implementing an EV Ready Plan, the rebate is 75% up to $4,400 per charging station (regularly 50% up to $1,400 each)
* Maximum of $25,000 per strata corporation (regularly $14,000)
* Read the program guide carefully! The increased rebate only applies to applications submitted for pre-approval after April 1, 2022.
- Feb 19, 2022: EV Charging for Townhouse Stratas (also applies to duplexes & bare land stratas): Download the slides | Watch on YouTube
- TBA: EV Charging: Working with your strata council
- TBA: Is your strata parking stall really yours?
- TBA: EV Charging Bylaws for Stratas
- TBA: Strata Rules: User Fees for EV Charging
- Choosing a Contractor for EV Charging Installations in Stratas: May 2021 webinar by Neil Normandeau, Electrical Joint Training Committee, EVITP (Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Training Program): Download the slides | Watch on YouTube | See Q&A | Find EVITP Certified installers
- VISOA Webinar Recordings on YouTube
Resources and Links:
- Steps for Stratas: How to Get EV Ready
- CleanBC – Go Electric official site: goelectricbc.gov.bc.ca
- CleanBC – Go Electric EV Charger Rebate Program Guide
- BC Hydro Form: Request for Customer Load Data
- Municipalities, Townships, and Districts offering Rebate Top-ups
- EV charging stations eligible for rebates: Use the search tool
- Sample survey: councils can use Google Forms to set up their own survey for free and gauge owners’ interest in EVs: Take the sample survey now
If you have any suggestions for this page, contact: EVcharging@visoa.bc.ca
District of Saanich:
VISOA partnered with the District of Saanich to present webinars on November 17 and 18, 2021. The webinars discuss why condo owners in Saanich should consider undertaking a comprehensive retrofit that will provide access to charging for all residential units, the technologies that can make this a cost-effective option, an overview of the process, and the resources and incentives available, including new top-up rebates from the District of Saanich.
Visit Saanich’s website to watch a recording of the webinar Electric Vehicle (EV) Ready Retrofits in Condominium Strata Buildings.