As strata owners, councils and property managers, you have questions about how to install and manage electric vehicle (EV) chargers and systems in your strata corporation. On this page, you will find webinars, resources, and links to provide the information you need.
With new Federal requirements that all new passenger car and truck sales be zero emission by 2035, it’s important that strata corporations plan for the needs of owners and residents. In BC, the November 2020 mandate letter from the Premier to the Minister Responsible for Housing includes a directive to “bring in “right-to-charge” legislation that will enable installation of electric vehicle charging infrastructure in more strata and apartment buildings”. If this legislation is enacted, it might require stratas to provide EV charging.
With rebates available from the province of British Columbia and some municipalities, now is the time to future-proof your buildings.
Clean BC – Go Electric Webinar Series:
VISOA is presenting this series of webinars to provide comprehensive information catered to strata owners and corporations. This series dedicates separate webinars to each of the four rebates in the Clean BC – Go Electric Charger Rebate Program that apply to stratas. One of these webinars is dedicated to townhouses as the rebates available to townhouses work differently. This series will also help you learn about the steps involved in your project, operating costs and management of these systems in the years that follow, and how to comply with the Strata Property Act every step of the way.
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia through the Minister of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation.
- EV Ready Plans for Condominium Stratas: Download the slides | Watch on YouTube
- EV Electrical Infrastructure Rebates for Condominium Stratas: Download the slides | Watch on YouTube UPDATE JULY 2022: the maximum for the Electrical Infrastructure rebate is capped at $120,000 per strata corporation (increased from $80,000). Before starting your project, check the CleanBC program guide for any other updates to the rebate program.
- EV Charging Stations: Rebates for Stratas: Download the slides | Watch on YouTube
- EV Charging for Townhouse Stratas (also applies to duplexes): Download the slides | Watch on YouTube
- November 19, 2022: EV Charging: Working with your strata council: Download the slides | Watch on YouTube
- TBA: EV Charging Bylaws for Stratas
- TBA: Strata Rules: User Fees for EV Charging
- TBA: Is your strata parking stall really yours?
- Choosing a Contractor for EV Charging Installations in Stratas: webinar by Neil Normandeau, Electrical Joint Training Committee, EVITP (Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Training Program): Download the slides | Watch on YouTube | See Q&A | Find EVITP Certified installers
- VISOA Webinar Recordings on YouTube
Resources and Links:
- Steps for Stratas: How to Get EV Ready
- CleanBC – Go Electric official site: goelectricbc.gov.bc.ca
- CleanBC – Go Electric EV Charger Rebate Program Guide
- BC Hydro Form: Request for Customer Load Data
- Municipalities, Townships, and Districts offering Rebate Top-ups
- EV charging stations eligible for rebates: Use the search tool
- Sample survey: councils can use Google Forms to set up their own survey for free and gauge owners’ interest in EVs: Take the sample survey now
If you have any suggestions for this page, contact: EVcharging@visoa.bc.ca
District of Saanich:
Visit Saanich’s website to learn about top-up rebates for EV Ready Plans and electrical infrastructure installations for condominium strata corporations located in the District of Saanich.