The Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association meets regularly with provincial and local governments as well as community and industry organizations to voice concerns and suggestions on behalf of strata corporations and strata owners.
We believe that positive change is possible through cooperative and respectful discussions with governments and stakeholders such as insurance, property management, and real estate associations. VISOA has “been at the table” contributing to many initiates and over the years our efforts have resulted in changes to the Strata Property Act and Regulations.
Here are a few highlights of VISOA’s advocacy work in recent years:
- 2021: Consultation with Building and Safety Standards Branch and stakeholders such as local governments to discuss potential policy, programs, and education regarding resiliency measures in residential buildings to address risks such as flooding, wildfires, and overheating.
- 2021-2022: Ongoing consultation with BSSB, FortisBC, BC Hydro, local governments and community associations regarding energy efficiency retrofits, GHG emission reduction, and decarbonization of residential building stock.
- 2019-present: Strata Insurance: Ongoing consultation with government and industry associations such as the Insurance Bureau of Canada to express concerns and potential measures to stabilize the strata insurance crisis.
- 2019-present: Depreciation Reports: Ongoing consultation with government and industry associations to discuss possible changes to the Strata Property Regulation about depreciation reports.
- 2020-present: COVID-19 and Strata Housing. Ongoing consultation with Housing Policy Branch regarding issues that have arisen in strata corporations due to the pandemic, including electronic meetings, proxies, vaccination passports, masks, and recreation facilities. Resulting in various Orders.
- 2016-present: Electric Vehicle Charging in Stratas. Ongoing consultation with the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation, Housing Policy Branch, Fraser Basin Council, local governments and EV clubs to develop funding programs, educational materials, and facilitate the adoption of EV charging in compliance with the Strata Property Act. Consultation regarding new Regulations in 2018.
- 2016-2017: Panelist in Review of City of Victoria off-street parking bylaws which were updated in 2018, and similar consultation with other local governments such as the City of Langford in 2021.
- 2013-2019: BCLI (BC Law Institute) Strata Property Law Project. VISOA participated in this 5-year project of consultation and research examining options for reform in selected areas of strata property law. Some recommendations were enacted in 2016.
- 2014-2016: Civil Resolution Tribunal. VISOA provided input to identify the most common issues that arise between strata owners, strata corporations, and sections. VISOA also acted as a subject matter expert providing information and feedback for the CRT’s first Solution Explorer which contained free information for the public.
What You Can Do
If you have concerns or suggestions, consider writing or calling your MLA and ask for a meeting to talk about it. You may also write to the Premier, and the Attorney General and Minister responsible for Housing to express your views. A letter to the editor of your local newspaper may also be helpful.
Find the name and contact information for your MLA (Members of the Legislative Assembly)
Honourable John Horgan
Suggestions and concerns with respect to strata legislation can also be made at any time to Housing Policy Branch, Office of Housing and Construction Standards in the Ministry of Attorney General and Minister Responsible for Housing.
Strata Housing website
BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA)
In 2021, legislation enabled the amalgamation of Real Estate Council of BC (RECBC) and the Office of the Superintendent of Real Estate (OSRE) within the BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA) making BCFSA the single regulator for real estate including education, licencing and governance of real estate professions, including strata property managers.